As Summer approaches, farm fresh markets will soon be stocked with an infinite array of seasonal ripe fruits and nutrient-dense veggies, making it an optimal time to try out a more plant-based diet.
Plant-Based vs. Vegan - What’s the Difference?
Plant-based diets might include some animal products such as eggs and dairy, while vegan includes no animal sources at all.
Plant protein is associated with a variety of health benefits, including:
Brain health | Improving cognitive function by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain, enhancing growth of new neurons, and supporting flexible communication between neurons.
Renal health | Reduced risk of kidney stones caused when calcium in our bodies combines with phosphorus in our foods and hardens in the kidneys.
Insulin Sensitivity| Improved sensitivity to insulin, a chemical messenger that helps keep our blood sugar levels stable
If switching to more plant-based proteins be sure to be aware of your current health status, personal values and resources to ensure nutritional adequacy, and avoid vitamin deficiency: namely in protein, iron, B-12 and calcium.
Some tips for getting more plant-based protein in your diet:
- For breakfast, try scrambled tofu instead of scrambled eggs!
- For your lunch or dinner, try swapping beef or chicken with extra-firm or firm tofu.
- Have a handful of nuts as your afternoon snack or toss them on top of the yogurt.
- Add chia seed or hemp seed into your favorite smoothie or sprinkle over avocado toast.
- Toss quinoa into salad.
Optimizing Egg Intake with a tofu scramble for Earth Day
Yield: 2 servings
- Half block of median firm or firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- Optional toppings: grated cheese and chopped green onions
- Siberian Select Caviar
- Drain the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into small pieces, and then crumble with a fork.
- Add the olive oil to a non-stick pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the tofu, milk, and season with salt, garlic powder and soy sauce to taste. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Top with caviar
- Sprinkle with spring onion and cheese if you like and enjoy!