Surf & Turf by Lynn Daniella Hoffmann
Servings: 2 Effort: Easy
Note: This recipe requires a barbecue
- 2 Large Tortillas (Wheat or corn)**see notes at the bottom of the page.
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped lobster meat or shrimp meat (Crab is also good)
- 2 Cups of Half and half ground veal and pork, well packed 2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 Cups shredded Cabbage (Green or purple) 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped Chives
- 2 Tbsp. White wine vinegar
- 1-2 Tsp. Sugar (optional)
- 2 Medium sized sweet potatoes, washed and unpeeled, cut lengthwise into thin strips Cooking oil spray (Olive or Canola)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Homemade mayonnaise or a good quality commercial brand – making sure it’s real mayonnaise and not the kind that’s a sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Tsp. Sriracha sauce
- 2 Tbsp. PSC Trout Roe Micro greens for decoration
- Heat oven to 425F
- Combine ground veal and pork with the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste, and form into 2 meatballs.
- Cover in plastic wrap and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Line a medium baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using either two medium/small baking bowls or two ring molds, gently press each tortilla into a bowl or ring mold to form a cup (see photo).
- Bake for about 15 minutes watching that they don’t burn, until golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely without removing them from the bowls/ring molds.
- Do not turn the oven off!
- Combine the shredded cabbage with the vinegar, sugar, chives and salt and pepper and let marinate whilst preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Turn your barbecue on to medium-high and remove the meatballs from the refrigerator.
- While the barbecue is heating up, line a large baking tray with parchment and spread the sweet potato strips evenly over the top. Spray lightly with cooking oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning them over once, until golden. Remove from oven, turning it off and setting the fries aside.
- Grill the meatballs, turning them over 2-3 times to cook evenly, until their internal temperature reads a minimum of 160F.
- Combine mayonnaise with tomato paste and sriracha sauce.
- Gently remove the tortilla cups from their molds and place each one on a dinner plate.
- Strain out the liquid from the cabbage mixture and fill each tortilla cup with half the cabbage mixture.
- Top each one with a meatball, then spoon half the mayonnaise mixture over each meatball. Spoon half the lobster/ shrimp or crab meat over the mayonnaise and finally top each one with 1 tablespoon of PSC Trout Roe.
- Insert the sweet potato fries into the tortilla cups around the meatballs (see photo) and decorate with micro greens (optional).